A limited number of scholarships are available to those in need. To request a scholarship, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Rural Voices planning committee is thrilled to share news that 25% of the proceeds from this event will go to the Southeastern Ohio LGBT Coalition to support their mission! Click here to learn more about the work of the Southeast Ohio LGBT Coalition!
THU, JUNE 7, 2018 | 8AM-5PM | Irvine Hall, Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine, Ohio University | Athens, OH
Rural Voices is a day-long summit for health and social service professionals to learn how to improve care for transgender and gender diverse people living in rural America.
The learning objectives for Rural Voices are:
- Develop a foundational knowledge about gender diversity, including health needs and disparities.
- Increase skills and confidence for providing medical and behavioral health services to transgender and gender diverse communities.
- Identify strategies to meet the unique healthcare needs of gender diverse communities in a rural context.
- Connect health and social service providers with resources for transgender & gender diverse communities.
- Social Work/Counseling $80
- Nursing $95
- Doctor/Psychology $175
- General Public $65
- Student $25
Last Day to purchase tickets has been extended to 6/7/18!
Please note those who are planning on parking at the event and are not Ohio University- Athens Permit Holders will need to purchase a Parking Pass. It is a two step process–you pay for the parking pass when you purchase your conference ticket. You will receive a link in your email receipt that will take you to Ohio University to claim your parking pass.
This event is being presented in partnership with the Equitas Health Institute for LGBTQ Health Equity, Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine, and the Ohio University Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Center.
- “The Basics to Break the Binary: An Introduction to Trans and Gender Diverse Communities” by delfin bautista, MSW, MDiv.
- “The ABCD Approach to Assessing Gender Diverse and Trans Youth: Affirming, Balanced, Comprehensive, & Developmentally-Informed” by Scott Leibowitz, MD
- “Prescribing Gender-Affirming Hormone Therapy: The Basics” by Jane Balbo, DO, MHA
- “Trans-Affirming Letter Writing: Best Practices and Challenges for Behavioral Health Providers” by L. Justin Wheeler, LISW-S & Michelle Pride, PhD
- “Navigating Coming Out: A Journey of Self-Discovery & Understanding ” Panel featuring Jody Davis, RN, MSW, LISW, Theodore Hutchinson, PhD, and Marek Samblanet, MSRS. Moderated by Susan Young, PhD and Michelle Pride, PhD.
- Screening of “Deep Run”
- “Case Studies in Primary Care” by Katy Kropf, DO
- “Voice and Language Intervention” by Sarah Taylor, MA CCC SLP
- “From the Waiting Room to the Patient Room” by Karen Nicosia, MPH and Julia Applegate, MA
- “Gendercraft: Tools to Align Body & Mind” by Gary Cordingley, MD, PhD
- “Accessing PrEP Services in Rural Ohio: Identifying Those at a Higher Risk of Contracting HIV and Other STI’s and Linking Them to Preventative Services” by Randle Moore and Cory Frederick, M.Ed.
- “But What About Our Elders? Issues for Trans and Gender Non-Conforming Older Adults” by Theodore Hutchinson, PhD